Tawn's Pickup Truck

This story is two weeks old, but it amazing!
Tawn’s Pickup Truck
Yesterday was a long and exhausting day. It started with a student who wanted to clear his name and reputation (I think that was accomplished). Then it progressed to the normal stuff; administrating, preparing to teach, etc.. Mid-morning, we got word that a student’s wife had been robbed of her jewelry and was not doing well physically. She had to go to the hospital and is back there now with some health problems. Mixed in there was dealing with two men who were not happy about financial arrangements (salary and things).
The afternoon was spent at language class and getting updates on the student’s wife. Later, came a meeting on school finances. And, just for good measure, while I was in language class, a female student called in tears because her finance was threatening to break off their engagement. She wanted to meet with me immediately to see what she should do. I had to put her off for a few hours.
Why tell you all that? Because of what happened about 5 p.m. I had a meeting with Navy, Tawn’s young widow. (You may remember that Tawn was a teacher, translator, Dean of Students, Dorm Dad and many other things for the school. He died after a motorcycle wreck in late December.) While Navy and I talked, she told me that she had finally been able to sell Tawn’s pickup truck. That’s great news, I thought. She told me she wanted to buy a house with the proceeds. I thought that was a good and wise plan; investing and thinking about the future. She proceeded to say she thought she would rent out the house. Smart, I thought, to have some extra income. What she said next floored me. She said, “And I want to use the money to support a Khmer preacher, if he will work hard.”
I didn’t know what to say. Here’s a young widow, not even 30 years old, who has suffered a great loss. Many of her dreams and goals for life have been changed. She does have a job to support herself, but has lost so much physically and financially. Yet, instead of thinking of herself and her future, she wants to use her resources to help the Kingdom grow. I am stunned and amazed at her faith. Wow! --- Rich

Comments

Amy Askew said…
Thanks for sharing this story. It helps remind me of how much I should and could do.

Popular posts from this blog

Loren Hollingsworth

Our 40th anniversary trip

16 years!!!