What a job!

Whenever you think you have a cruddy job, remember this picture!

This guy sits by the side of one of the busier roads everyday, as does his fellow workers, straightening out bent up rebar. I'm not sure you could pay me enough to do that all day long everyday.

Going to language school is even better than that. Remember the Big Chief tablet and huge pencil days? Well, back in kindergarten - that is where we are. I so feel like I need a Big Chief tablet as I try to write their letters. (Except in order to write their letters correctly, their paper is in squares, kind of like graph paper) I know I have told you some of this, but just as a brief overview: there are 33 consonants (all of which fall into 2 groups - the 'ah' group or the 'oh' group) and 28 vowels (or "wow-alls" as our teacher says) that each have 2 sounds. Then, instead of having 2 consonants side by side (ie. cl, sl, st, etc.) you have the first consonant and then the 2nd consonant is called 'subscript' and it is written under the 1st consonant. They are usually a small version of the consonant, but not always. The vowels are written somewhere around (in front, on top, under, or behind) the consonant. OK. Just use a little math and you can see the lovely amount of combinations available.
So, if you are having a crummy day, you can think of us and laugh (because it is comical at times) trying to read, write and talk khmer. And I'm sure your job is better than this guy's!
I do hope you have a wonderful day and you smile a lot! Love to all!
Ronda

Comments

R&R:

Wow - that poor man. I'm a structural engineer, and it astounds me that they are salvaging all of that bent-up rebar. Little short pieces, too - not even the 60' long pieces that would seem harder to come by.

I really enjoy reading your blog - thanks for keeping everyone updated. Good luck with the reading and writing!!

Shannon Koeninger
AckPack said…
Hi guys,

Wow, it is amazing how different things are and how much we take for granted as well as live in our own little bubble and think everyone does the same. Sometimes I think all the supposed conveniences of life here has only made life more complicated.

Well Rich, Chad is in Dallas this weekend where it will be a madhouse due to the TEXAS/OU game. However Chad is traveling for the day to see OSU cream A&M! (Did I say that out loud?) LOL You know I bleed orange. Go Pokes!

Do you get any football there? Do you want me to tape any games for you and then mail them. Might be fun to watch even after the fact.

We are heading to Worlds of Fun next weekend. We will miss not having you with us. We love you all, and are always in our prayers. It makes it easier to know that you are right where God wants you! :)

Love,

The Acklins

Popular posts from this blog

Loren Hollingsworth

Our 40th anniversary trip

16 years!!!