Potpourri from Rich

Here's a hodge podge of thoughts. Our shipment finally arrived from the U.S. last week. (Well, we finally got it. It's been here for several weeks.) I've been in hog heaven finally having my books. I did find some treasures. For instance, the logbook and journal I had to keep when I was a ministry intern. I was so green!

I'm teaching Isaiah now. It is great to have my books to help me study.

We added another student to the school this week. His name is Try. He seems to be a good one.

Last week, two of the students here baptized 15 people at the village they went to preach at. All of these are between 13-26 years of age. (Don't know if I told you before, but Ronda & I are the oldest members at the Phnom Penh congregation.) I cautioned the boys about not relying on numbers to measure our effectiveness. At the same time, they were excited. And, they should be.

We had a wedding or funeral celebration yesterday(one street over). Loud music started at 6;15 a.m. It went all day long. At 9 p.m. it was still going, while I was trying to study. Finally, at exactly 10 p.m. it stopped.

I said perhaps funeral because they do funerals differently here. The funeral itself is a two day affair. Then, on the 7th day, 30th day, 100th day, one year and 3 year anniversary you have remembrance celebrations. For the funerals and weedings, a tent type thing is set up out in the street. Often it blocks at least one lane of traffic (even if it's a main road). Meals are served all day and night. The people invited are expected to chip in money to help pay the cost.
Rich

Comments

Street family said…
Hi Rich, Ronda, and Rebekah,

We saw your wonderful boys this past weekend. They are all doing (and looking)great. It was so good for us to get to see them, and for them to see each other. Rich, we're sorry you are having a time studying in your own home. You're just going to have to go back to the boat races it seems to get some peace and quiet. We love and miss you! We are keeping you in our prayers. Thank you for your prayers, too. Love, The Streets
Josh said…
haha, what a cool blog! It was good to see Jason last weekend. Hope Cambodia treats you well. You are in my prayers.

-Josh

Popular posts from this blog

Loren Hollingsworth

Our 40th anniversary trip

16 years!!!