Random thought

Sorry...no pictures, because I am in a hurry this morning. But I was just thinking that I don't think I told you a little story, that is different from in the US.
In our language class awhile back, we were talking about families and our teacher was giving us all the khmer names for different relatives. Then he said that women often call their husbands "bong"which really means ólder' (bong bro - if older brother; bong sray - if older sister). And that usually the only time they call each other by name is if they aren't getting along very well at the moment.
So, being older than Rich, I had to ask if I should call him "p-ohng" since that means younger, instead of "bong". At that teacher teach looked surprised, and admirably at Rich and asked if it was true...that I was older. When Rich said yes, our teacher just stopped and applauded, as did the rest of the Asians in the class. They were very impressed with Rich for what I can only assume is for having the wisdom to marry an older women!
So, there you have it! I love living in Cambodia! Come visit! Much love, Ronda

Comments

Lynnda said…
This is so funny. Robert got home last night and one of the things he was telling us was how the Thai language has "titles" they put in front of people's names to show respect when they are older. And then I read this... It was actually funnier reading it after hearing Robert's story!

And yes, I do think Rich should be applauded for having the wisdom to marry you. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Loren Hollingsworth

Our 40th anniversary trip

16 years!!!