A normal day for us

I thought I would tell you what a normal day is like for us.\

We get up at around 6-6:30 am (the Cambodians wake up early and go to bed early - by about 9:30pm it is pretty quiet). Rich usually studies, does internet stuff while Rebekah and I dust, sweep and mop. One of the things here is that the dusting, sweeping and mopping has to be done basically everyday as there is a thin layer of dirt each day.

At about 8:15am, we all walk to the preaching school (CBI - Cambodian Bible Institute) for chapel. It takes about 15 minutes to walk, which is nice - not too far. The chapel time consists of 2 songs, prayer, and a devotional talk. The students take turns doing these.

At 9am, school starts for the students. Starting on Tuesday, Rich begins teaching in the mornings on the book of John. Rebekah and I leave at that point and either make our way to the market, go to do some emailing/homework, or back to the house to finish cleaning. We also try to find some time in here to study our khmer (pronounced cah-mai).

Right now, we have khmer language class M-F from 2-4pm. It is about a 20 minute walk from the house. We will be going to the Royal University of Phnom Penh in October to begin language classes there which consists of reading/writing as well as grammar(yuk!) and conversation. However, since we had a month before then, we are going to a different school for conversational khmer. Naturally, Rebekah is much better at the language than Rich or I, but we are making our way. At least people understand us usually when we try to use it. The problem is trying to understand them!!! They talk so fast !!!

After language school, we usually go home and I cook dinner and eat and then work on various things that we have to get done before the next day.

Things will really step up for Rich next week when, on top of trying to learn the language and going to class for it 2 hours a day, he has to teach for 2-3 hours/day and be prepared for that. So keep us all in your prayers and we try to do our best.

You're in our thoughts and prayers. Much love to you.

Comments

wildcat said…
What an adventure you are on for the Lord! It sounds like you are going to make the best and the most of it like we knew you would. You are in our prayers and thoughts. May you be blessed beyond immagination in your spreading of the Gospel to the Cambonian people. We miss and love you.
Rhonda said…
Cool- I knew Rebekah was the champion!!! Do you see many joggers there? I bet with all the walking you don't need to. I wish I could be there with you during Chapel time. I love to praise God with different cultures. I know you all are blessing people as they are blessing you. Hurry and get that camera I am visual you know!!!! I love you all and miss you so. You are all in my prayers. I think of you so much at BREAKFAST time. (HEHEHE)
Brenda said…
it sounds like a wonderful place to be. we miss you all here, but know you are doing a wonderful service for God and the Cambodian people. send pics soon. we love you and miss you.
Sherry & Gary said…
Thank you for keeping us informed this way. I love it! Prayers are said for each of you and your work there each day as I use the "dog" mug you left us :):). Blessings on you as you learn the language and work for the Lord.
Scott said…
Great blog. Nice way to let us keep up with you... would you like to hear about a normal day for me... just kidding...

If you can add pics... that's great... can you add an audio file... of Rich speaking the new language... that would make me happy... and nostalgic... as Rich and I were in Ukraine... and we tried to speak their language...

Girls Circle of Sisters lock-in tonight... p hairod and a lynn are doing the duty.

I talked to 2 more possible youth ministers... one in Washington... one in Arizona... both sound good... want to get them here to see if we want to continue the interview process...

You are always in our prayers...
Scott N Kim
Wendy & Nathan said…
I LOVE that you're a part of the blogging world! It's easy to keep up with you now!! It's so exciting to hear about your new home.

We have been out supporting our Tiger football team in your absence (they need it!)...I'm sure we don't do it near as well, but we're trying!

No word on our end of the world...someday we'll join you in a land afar...

We love & miss & pray for you LOTS!

Popular posts from this blog

Loren Hollingsworth

Our 40th anniversary trip

16 years!!!