Rich's first post

Hey, Friends:

Hope you're alive and well and walking with God. This is the end of our 2nd week here. Wow how time has flown.

Heré's a little flavor of the country:

WE love the people. Everyone smiles. After having been in Ukraine for a few weeks, that is a great difference.

The town really is in smaller villages. Everyone knows everyone. That is great.

There are a lot of cars, but not as many as America. There are 10 scooters or motorbikes for ever car. And, then there are tuk tuks. Those are a small scooter (about 100 hp - just a step up from the old mini-bikes) that have a rickshaw like thing on the back. It has two seats that face each other like a carriage. You sit on those and can be driven around.

The tuk tuks are inexpensive (for us). But, the costs adds up, plus we need the exercise, so we have been walking a lot.
We don't have a car yet and may wait awhile to get one.

Craftsmanship here is good and labor is fairly inexpensive. I had a haircut yesterday for about 75 cents. And, the wood worker is still putting some of the wood up in our house.

A few days ago, I saw a man on a 3rd story balcony. He was squatted down on the ledge, as far out as he could possibly be, trying to feed a wire down beside a drain pipe. OSHA is not in Cambodia.

We're on our 4th day of trying to get phone service at our house (mostly for the internet). That's been an adventure. Oh, I had to take my passport in to get signed up for internet service. (It had to be approved by the ministry of Interior).

Time for chapel at the school. Must go.

Rich

P.S. On top of language classes, I start to teach the gospel of John next week. All my books, notebooks, etc... are still in transit from the shipping.

Comments

JamesG3 said…
In my best accent: "Books? We don't need no stinkin' books!"

Seriously, two memories come to my mind often, Rich. The first is one evening after class Stephen Gartman and I came up to ask you a question and saw a Greek NT for the first time...didn't have a clue what it was. To this day I think you're the only YM I've ever known to teach from the Greek...that's impressive. And a good teacher you were (and teachers better with age, so I bet that John class was great).

The second is...um...different. I recall coming out to visit you and Paul at the office at Southgate while I was home from AIM. I stopped by the restroom first. This is what I heard: "Water on porcelain is pleasing to the ear, but water on cotton is something to fear." Ha!

Popular posts from this blog

Loren Hollingsworth

Our 40th anniversary trip

16 years!!!